Tuesday 15 May 2012

Brooks 'Baffled' Over Hacking Scandal Charge


Rebekah Brooks has said she is "baffled" by the decision to charge her in relation to the phone-hacking scandal.
Speaking outside the offices of her lawyers, hours after she and her husband Charlie had been charged with perverting the course of justice, the former News International chief executive responded angrily.
She said: "I have to question whether the decision was made on a proper impartial assessment of the evidence.
"I am baffled by the decision to charge me."
"I cannot express my anger enough that those closest to me have been dragged into this unfairly.
"One day the details will emerge and people will see [the decision to charge] as nothing more than an expensive sideshow and a waste of public money as a result of an unjust and weak decision."
Before that, Ms Brooks's husband Charlie had said he doubted whether his wife would be able to get a fair trial, given the level of speculation about the case:
"I feel today is an attempt to use me and others as scapegoats, the effect of which is to ratchet up the pressure on my wife, who I believe is the subject of a witch hunt.
"I have no doubt that the lack of evidence against me will be borne out in court, but I have grave reservations that my wife can ever get a fair trial, given the huge volume of biased commentary that she is constantly subjected to."
Brooks , who was News Of The World editor when the voicemails of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler's mobile phone were intercepted, faces three charges, including that she removed boxes of material from the News International archive and tried to conceal documents, computers and other material from police investigation.
Her husband, who is a racehorse trainer, has been charged with two counts of perverting the course of justice.
Four other people, including News International's head of security, Mark Hanna, and Rebekah Brooks' former PA Cheryl Carter, also face counts of attempting to pervert the course of justice.
The decision was announced by the director of public prosecutions' principal legal advisor, Alison Levitt QC, who said: "All the evidence has now carefully been considered.
"I have concluded that in relation to all suspects, except the seventh, there is sufficient evidence for there to be a realistic prospect of conviction."
The charges include conspiring to conceal material from Scotland Yard detectives, conspiring to remove seven boxes of material from the archive of News International and conspiring to conceal documents, computers and other electronic equipment from detectives.
Ms Levitt said: "All these matters relate to the ongoing police investigation into allegations of phone hacking and corruption of public officials in relation to the News Of The World and The Sun newspapers."
Rebekah Brooks and her husband released a statement condemning the decision to charge them.
The couple said: "We deplore this weak and unjust decision. After the further unprecedented posturing of the CPS we will respond later today after our return from the police station."
A statement from Ms Carter read: "Cheryl Carter understands that she is to be charged today with attempting to pervert the course of justice. She vigorously denies the commission of that or any offence.
"She would like to thank her family and friends for their continued support during this most unhappy period of her life. Neither she, nor I, will be making any further comment at this stage."
The charges are the first to be brought following Scotland Yard's multimillion-pound investigations into phone hacking, computer hacking and corruption, which have led to 50 arrests since they began in January last year.
Police launched Operation Weeting, the inquiry devoted specifically to phone hacking, after receiving "significant new information" from News International on January 26 last year.
Operation Elveden was launched months later after officers were given documents suggesting News International journalists made illegal payments to police officers.
Officers also launched three related operations: the Sasha Inquiry into allegations of perverting the course of justice; Kilo, an inquiry into police leaks; and Tuleta, the investigation into computer-related offences, as the inquiry escalated.
Metropolitan Police figures showed there were 829 potential victims of phone hacking, of whom 231 were said to be uncontactable.
The scandal has already led to the closure of the NOTW after 168 years, prompted a major public inquiry, and forced the resignation of Met Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson and his assistant John Yates.
Rebekah Brooks and the others charged will appear at Westminster Magistrates Court in the coming days.
The decision from prosecutors comes just days after Mrs Brooks gave almost an entire day's evidence at the Leveson Inquiry into media standards.
Full statements from Rebekah and Charlie Brooks:
Rebekah Brooks:
"While I have always respected the criminal justice system, I have to question whether the decision was made on a proper impartial assessment of the evidence.
"I know there needs to be a thorough investigation.
"I am baffled by the decision to charge me.
"More importantly, I cannot express my anger enough that those closest to me have been dragged into this unfairly.
"One day the details will emerge and people will see [the decision to charge] as nothing more than an expensive sideshow and a waste of public money as a result of an unjust and weak decision.
"I was the editor of the News of the World and Sun and chief executive.
"Even News International's harshest critics can't wish to see people with no involvement of the central issues being treated like this and involved like this."
Charlie Brooks:
"I feel today is an attempt to use me and others as scapegoats, the effect of which is to ratchet up the pressure on my wife, who I believe is the subject of a witch hunt.
"There are 172 police officers, the equivalent of eight murder squads, working on this; so it's no surprise to me that the pressure is on to bring prosecutions, however weak they may be.
"I have no doubt that the lack of evidence against me will be borne out in court, but I have grave reservations that my wife can ever get a fair trial, given the huge volume of biased commentary that she is constantly subjected to.
"We will fight this in court."


©Sky News

No comments:

Post a Comment